Friday, February 18, 2011

Favorite Things

Now introducing my favorite things posts. No, I'm not Oprah...obviously, but there are things in this world that I think are just great. Today I am highlighting:

Milkshakes
(more specifically chocolate malted milkshakes)



I'm not talking about the kind that brings all da' boys to the yard. I'm talking about the sweet, cold, ice cream treat: the stuff of diners and muffin tops.


The term "milkshake" was first used in print in 1885 and was an alcoholic whiskey drink with the consistency of the eggnog that we drink today. Five years later in 1900, they were referred to as "wholesome drinks made with chocolate, vanilla or strawberry syrups." Soon after that, they were requested with ice cream and by the 1930s milkshakes were a popular drink at malt shops which were popular meeting places or hangouts for students. When the blender came around in 1922, it gave the milkshake that modern whipped and frothy form. That same year, the use of malted milk powder was popularized in the USA by the Chicago drugstore chain Walgreens....and aren't we grateful.



Every time I have a milkshake, I am transported to another time. A time of jukeboxes, checkerboard floors, and full circle skirts, record players, chrome bar stools and roller skates. They are happiness in a stainless steel cup. Add a dollop of whipped cream and I'm done for. It soothes...it relaxes...and it fattens all in one fail swoop.

Love it. Crave it. Gotta have it.

1 comment:

  1. I am so in touch with this emotion! I miss you beautiful girl... I hope I get to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...